Wednesday, October 7, 2020

My Aging Heart

 Nadene Goldfoot                                                   


I had open heart surgery  for a Mitral Valve Repair on June 8, 2009  at St Vincent's Hospital in Portland, Oregon.  I would be 75 years old by September.  Luckily, my son, Steve, was a Cardiac Nurse there at the time and set up my Cardiologist, who was a doctor he worked with, and the surgeon for me.  He was there.  He asked, "What was my ejection fraction of the mitral valve?" (See below).  

I'm 86 now.  This is a genetic problem that I have inherited. I'm a yoyo dieter so that hasn't helped my heart, I now realize.    

I found out I needed the surgery when my doctor found I had an irregular heartbeat or erratic heart rhythm known as arrhythmia and told me I needed to see a cardiologist.  I have gone through a procedure at the hospital that stopped and then started my heart called a cardioversion, and I then weighed 152.6 lbs.  That was September 10, 2019.  I was in normal rhythm for about 10 months, and then it went out again.  

I've been monitoring my weight for years every day, but now had to include my blood pressure as well and record it in a special notebook given to me by my doctor.  My blood pressure has an icon showing I'm still in afib.

I've never smoked and have a glass of red kosher wine every Friday night since 1972 at age 38, which is a religious reason and just happens to be a healthy act for the heart.  

  Open heart operation June 8, 2009-128.6lbs  (5'4" before aging)-have shrunk.

                                     June 16, 2009-130.6 lbs; age 75

Blood pressure:  October 11, 2011---120/80;  weight -169lbs

       High Blood Pressure is considered: 140/90

There has been significant improvement in your heart pump function.
We will review your echocardiogram further at your follow up visit coming up soon.

Sincerely,
Skye Nehs, PA-C October 2, 2019

Component Results

ComponentYour ValueStandard Range
EF 4CH%55                       2019
50....as of 10/13/20

................................................................................................................
October 6, 2020

My name is Zean I am a nurse with Mount Hood Cardiology. Looks like your labs are within normal limits. In regards to your echo, looks like compared to your last echo done you now have mildly reduced left ventricular systolic function at 45-50%. The normal value is 60-65%. This is the percentage of blood that is pushed out from your heart to the rest of your body. You will find impression below.  The EF is 45-50.  Normal is 60-65.  

So I've gone from an EF of 55 to 45-50 in one year, which is a loss of 10%.

Ejection fraction (EF)

A measure of how well the heart is pumping out blood, used to diagnose and monitor Heart Failure.                                                                     


The ejection fraction for a normal heart ranges between    50 and 70.

                                                        2019                  ME:         55

                                                        2020                  ME:   45-50

I've got to do something to slow this progression down.  

Component
Latest Ref Rng & Units 5/18/2020 5/18/2020
IMPRESSION
Conclusions
1. Mildly reduced left ventricular systolic function with multiple wall
motion abnormalities.
2. There is moderate basal anteroseptal and inferolateral wall
hypertrophy visualized.
3. Mildly reduced right ventricular systolic function.
4. Severe left atrial enlargement.
5. Mild-to-moderate tricuspid regurgitation.
6. The right ventricular systolic pressure is estimated to be 29 - 34
mmHg.
7. Mild dilatation of the ascending aorta.

Everything bad happens to my left side, and I'm left handed.  It was my left knee that I had a complete knee replacement, and it's my left hand that I now have problems with my fingers being rather numb, making it harder to type.  

1.  I'll have to start walking more.  21 minutes a day is recommended, and can be broken up in 10 minute segments.  Set a time for the walk.  I had a total knee replacement on  November 13 2019 on the left knee.  I'm left handed, by the way.   I think the whole walk around my park will do the trick which I have avoided for several years, ever since my dog laid down in the street and refused to walk with me.  She's also in heart failure,coughing which is symptomatic and is 14 years old.  For a dog, that's like 98 years.  She's a Llasa Apso and had been used to produce puppies.   

                                                 Family Heart History
Father:  died of Hepatitis (hepatic failure due to shock clocteular necrosis.  He was 59 years 22 days old.  He had an enlarged heart.   Died three weeks after entering hospital.  Flown to Portland from Ontario.  Had problems with the liver. Had kidney stones.
Bubba (grandma) died at 66 years; had legs broken in pogrom; shoulder going out several times.  
Maternal aunt- Sister of father: died at 59 years 10 months 8 days.  Heart attack after exertion of Passover, cleaning up. She was a heavy smoker.   She was not yet born when her father Nathan died in a horse and wagon accident.

Paternal 1st cousinAlso has afib.  

Mother: died of infection in her kidney from having a temperature while undergoing skin cancer operation in doctor's office causing bleeding on her leg. This was in 2005.   She was 92 and probably also had afib.  This was October 5, 2005. She had had two knee replacements,. Arthritis and  Neuropathy, which was her biggest problem.  She has axonal peripheral neuropathy.   She also had a Mitral valve leak in heart. TIA   Dec 2004. Stroke on 2/20/05. Hospitalized.  

Maternal Uncle-brother of mother:  My uncle died at 73.  He had a pacemaker, also mitral valve leakage in heart.  His 3 children have been advised to watch their heart for same problem.  

Maternal grandfather:  Grandpa was almost 82 when he died.  His son was with him then in the hospital.  He was at the time delusional, thinking he was managing his 4 horses of his team and was calling out to them.  He died in 1952.  
Maternal grandmother:  Grandma was 85 when she died.  She was an immigrant from Sweden and came over in April of 1888 at age 18.  She had broken her hip when a little boy ran into her when running and pushed her down.  From then on she had to use wooden crutches to walk.  
Maternal ggrandmother: died at 61 years in Sweden. mother of 7, Grandma was youngest.    
Maternal ggrandfather:  died at age 73 years in Sweden in snowstorm behind his house freezing to death.  

10/6/2020                                                     
Collards

         Kale

My son suggested I look into: start eating fresh kale and collards.
He also suggested looking into taking COQ10.  I like the looks of COQ10 MD.  It is to give you more energy, as I was complaining that aging makes me tired and I really don't want to walk, and especially for very long.  I could buy 6 months worth ( 6 bottles-I hope) for $139.85 if they hold to the offer of $23.30 in a batch. 
 I might also get the energy I need if I eat kale and collards. That would help to face walking every day.  I'll try the veggies first. I have been walking but certainly not for 21 minutes.  I did it today for the first time in ages and felt success! So I ordered kale and collards online like I do all my shopping these days.  My son told me how to cook them.  Steam for 3 minutes, and I can add some olive oil for the presentation and taste.  

 My heart medication is costing me enough every month as it is, as well as dog food for a wee little dog between bag and can.  All these things enjoyable in life were not known to me when I started my profession as a teacher in 1958.  We didn't even know about the arrival soon to come of computers and cell phones, both extra costs to a budget.  

10/12/20:  I need to go from 2000 mg sodium per day to 1500 and to remember it is found in natural foods as well.  I've got to start counting my daily consumption.  It could be hidden in bread, snacking cakes/cookies, etc.  I don't use processed foods in cans; do by frozen veggies.  nothing coming in packages.  Everything is fresh like chicken.  Sodium is in baking powder.  I thought I was doing pretty well, but this order comes from the doctor.  I do notice that a little salt gave me a little more energy.  

Resource: 
My Health-Legacy
https://www.us.keepitpumping.com/a-stretched-heart
https://www.us.keepitpumping.com/activity?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sitelink&utm_term=Sitelink_Staying_Active_w_HF&gclid=CNnL1tODoewCFdAlfgodepkJoQ


No comments:

Post a Comment